Feijoa is an exotic fruit native to South America. It is subjected to various types of processing, which allows you to get delicious blanks for winter. Jam from feijoa contains a large number of nutrients and has an excellent taste.
Cooked jam can be eaten as a stand-alone dessert or used as a baking filling.
Features and benefits of feijoa
Feijoa is a green elongated fruit. Ripe specimens are characterized by a dark green uniform color. The pulp of unripe fruit is white.
Only ripe fruits are used to make jam. If damaged, such areas should be cut out.
Feijoa goes on sale in the fall and early winter. During this period, its value decreases. Therefore, autumn is the optimal period for making jam from this exotic fruit. Feijoa has a shelf life of no more than one week, so you need to process it as quickly as possible. Taking jam regularly from feijoa useful for the following disorders in the body:
- digestive problems;
- iodine deficiency;
- high blood cholesterol levels;
- low hemoglobin;
- disorders of the thyroid gland;
- problems with memory and attention;
- stress and depression;
- reduced immunity.
It is better to refuse using jam if you have an individual intolerance to this exotic berry. You should also take dessert with caution at various stages of diabetes, since the fruits contain an increased amount of Sahara.
Feijoa jam recipes
Feijoa pulp is used to make a delicious jam. It is allowed to cook the fruits together with the peel, then it is necessary to lower them in boiling water and grind them using kitchen equipment.
Raw jam retains maximum useful properties. If you need to prepare a dessert for the winter, then it is better to subject it to heat treatment. You can also divide the fruit and make the jam, and process the rest and leave it raw.
The easiest way to make feijoa jam is to use ripe fruit and granulated sugar. In the absence of heat treatment, a maximum of useful substances, which feijoa is rich in, are preserved.
The recipe for making jam is divided into several stages:
- A kilogram of exotic fruits must be washed and trimmed on both sides.
- Then the ingredients need to be chopped using a meat grinder or blender. The rind is left as it contains a lot of vitamins and minerals.
- 1.5 kg of sugar are added to the resulting mass. The mixture is left for a couple of hours so that the sugar dissolves and juice is released.
- The finished jam is laid out in sterilized jars.
If jam is prepared without boiling, then its shelf life is limited. It is recommended to use it within 2 months. Ripe feijoa fruits are stored for only a week, but adding sugar and heat treating the jars can extend this period.
With an orange without cooking
Delicious jam with the addition of orange is prepared without heat treatment. Raw ingredients retain their beneficial properties.However, it is recommended to use jam within the next couple of months after preparation.
A cooking recipe involves performing a certain order of actions:
- First, ripe feijoa fruits (1.2 kg) are selected. They must be washed, cut on both sides and passed through a meat grinder. Leave the peel as it is rich in nutrients.
- One large orange is peeled and ground in a meat grinder or blender. Then the juice is survived from the pulp.
- A glass of walnuts must also be chopped in any way possible.
- The ingredients are mixed, a kilogram of sugar is added to them.
- For several hours, the mass is left in a dark place to release the juice.
- The finished jam is laid out in sterilized jars and closed with nylon lids.
Quick recipe with kiwi
Delicious kiwi and feijoa jam is prepared in a quick way without heat treatment. The main disadvantage of this dessert is its short shelf life. It is recommended to use the jam within 3 days.
The cooking procedure includes several stages:
- Kiwi (5 pcs) must be peeled and cut in half.
- Feijoa (0.4 kg) is enough to cut into large pieces and remove the tails.
- The ingredients are ground in a blender or any other kitchen technique.
- You can add a couple of tablespoons of honey to the resulting homogeneous mass.
- The jam is thoroughly mixed and served. It is recommended to store the dessert in the refrigerator.
Recipe with honey and nuts
The original dessert is obtained from the combination of feijoa, honey and nuts. It is best prepared in the fall for use in the winter at the first sign of a cold.
The ingredients are not subjected to heat treatment, because when heated, honey loses most of its beneficial properties.
The cooking procedure consists of several stages:
- About a kilogram of feijoa must be washed and placed in boiling water for 10 seconds.
- Then the fruits are cut into pieces and passed through a meat grinder. The peel can be left, then the concentration of nutrients in the jam will increase.
- Add 0.5 kg of honey to the resulting mass. If you need to get a sweeter dessert, then the amount of honey is increased.
- Then take a glass of walnuts or any other nuts. They need to be chopped in a mortar or blender, and then added to the mass.
- It is recommended to store dessert in glass containers in the refrigerator.
Heat treatment allows to extend the storage time of the workpieces. During the cooking process, a delicious jam is obtained from feijoa, which is used as a filling for pies and other baked goods.
The recipe for cooking jam with cooking is as follows:
- A kilogram of feijoa must be washed and halved.
- The pulp is taken out with a spoon and transferred to a refractory container.
- The resulting mass is covered with a kilogram of sugar.
- If you wait a couple of hours, then there will be an intense release of juice.
- Then the mass can be put on fire.
- It is recommended to cook the confiture within an hour after boiling.
- The resulting dessert, hot, is distributed in containers, which are sealed with lids.
Jam is a jelly-like dessert in which pieces of fruit or berries are evenly distributed. The jam is boiled in one go. It is best to use a large basin for this purpose.
The procedure for obtaining jam is as follows:
- A kilogram of feijoa must be washed, rinsed with boiling water and cut into large pieces.
- The fruits are crushed in a blender to form a homogeneous mass.
- A syrup consisting of 1 liter of water and 1 kg of granulated sugar is put on the fire to cook.
- The readiness of the syrup is checked one drop at a time, which must retain its shape. If the drop spreads, then you need to continue to cook the syrup.
- Feijoa is poured into the finished syrup in parts, heated over low heat. This will ensure that the liquid penetrates evenly into the mass.
- The finished mass can be laid out in banks for the winter.
The addition of lemon makes feijoa jam a source of vitamin C during the winter. In this case, the cooking recipe takes the following form:
- First, about a kilogram of ripe feijoa fruits are taken. They need to be washed in hot water and then scalded with boiling water. This simple procedure will get rid of the dirt.
- Then the fruit is cut in half and the pulp is removed. It is she who will be used for jam.
- One lemon must be washed and then peeled.
- The resulting peel is grated, and the lemon itself is squeezed to extract juice.
- 1.2 kg of granulated sugar are poured into a bowl with feijoa pulp. The mass is left for half an hour so that the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Then the container is put on fire, after adding 0.2 liters of water, lemon zest and squeezed juice.
- When the mass boils, the intensity of combustion is reduced, and they continue to cook for half an hour.
- The finished jam is distributed among sterilized jars and rolled up with lids for the winter.
An unusual dessert is made from feijoa in combination with a pear. Another component of the jam is semisweet white wine.
Delicious jam is prepared according to the following recipe:
- Selected feijoa fruits (1 kg) must be thoroughly washed and cut in half. Then take out the pulp with a spoon, which is placed in a separate container.
- Three ripe pears need to be peeled and peeled. The pulp is chopped with a blender.
- The components are combined in one container with the addition of 0.2 l of white wine.
- Be sure to add 0.8 kg of granulated sugar.
- The resulting homogeneous mass is put to boil on fire. Stir the jam periodically.
- When the mass begins to boil, the container is removed from the heat.
- The jam should cool completely, after which it is again put to boil on the fire.
- When the mass boils again, it can be distributed over glass jars.
- The containers are rolled up with lids and left to cool.
Ginger has a pronounced aroma and taste, which are conveyed by the jam when this ingredient is added. Ginger is used to stimulate digestion, reduce inflammation, and fight obesity. During colds, ginger jam helps to strengthen the immune system.
The process of making ginger and feijoa jam is divided into several stages:
- About a kilogram of feijoa must be washed, cut in half and removed.
- A small ginger root (10 g) is rubbed on a grater.
- The ingredients are mixed, 0.4 kg of granulated sugar is added to them.
- Be sure to add 0.5 liters of purified water.
- The mass is stirred and put to boil over the fire.
- When the boiling process begins, the heat is reduced and the mixture is boiled for 2.5 hours. The jam is stirred periodically.
- The finished dessert is distributed in jars and covered with lids.
- After cooling, the containers are stored in the refrigerator.
The use of a multicooker greatly simplifies the process of obtaining homemade products. Making jam is no exception. The multicooker assumes minimal interference in the cooking process. It is enough to select the required mode and control the cooking procedure.
In a slow cooker, the taste and aroma of feijoa are better preserved, since the fruits are boiled under the lid.
The procedure for obtaining jam from feijoa in a multicooker is as follows:
- A kilogram of ripe fruit is peeled, and the pulp is placed in a multicooker bowl.
- Then you need to add fresh juice and zest from one lemon to the mass.
- Sugar 0.9 kg is measured and added to the total mixture.
- On the multicooker, turn on the "Extinguishing" mode.
- Jam is cooked for 50 minutes, periodically it needs to be stirred.
- Hot prepared dessert is laid out in jars and covered with lids for the winter.
Feijoa jam is a tasty and healthy addition to your winter diet.Exotic fruits can be crushed and covered with sugar. This jam will retain more useful properties. For winter storage, it is recommended to subject the ingredients to heat treatment. Feijoa goes well with citrus, honey, nuts, pear and ginger. Using a multicooker, you can simplify the cooking procedure.