- 1 Why is thorn compote useful?
- 2 Contraindications to the use of thorn compote
- 3 Features of the preparation of thorn compote
- 4 How to cook blackthorn compote for the winter
- 4.1 A simple recipe for sloe compote for the winter
- 4.2 Blackthorn compote for the winter without sterilization
- 4.3 Pitted thorn compote
- 4.4 Blackthorn and apple compote for the winter
- 4.5 Recipe for thorny compote for the winter with zucchini
- 4.6 Blackthorn compote with berries
- 4.7 Plum compote with thorns with cherry plum
- 5 Frozen sloe compote
- 6 Terms and conditions of storage
- 7 Conclusion
Blackthorn compote is a fortified drink with excellent taste and rich nutritional composition. The fruits of this plant are not very tasty in themselves, but they have proven themselves perfectly in homemade preparations. They are very useful, help to strengthen and maintain the immune system, and are recommended for use in many diseases. Blackthorn is the same plum, only with thorny bushes and sour fruits with a tart aftertaste.
Why is thorn compote useful?
Our ancestors knew about the benefits of blackthorn compote, who used it not only for harvesting, but also for medicinal purposes. All parts of the plant: fruits, flowers, bark, leaves can be used to prepare remedies for many diseases. Blackthorn helps relieve unpleasant symptoms associated with the gastrointestinal tract, has a beneficial effect on diarrhea, intestinal and stomach disorders, kills bacteria and germs, relieves nausea, vomiting. The berry is considered a good diuretic, helps with fever during colds. It is used for mild dysentery, colitis, food poisoning, used as an auxiliary treatment for kidneys, liver, metabolic disorders, neuralgia. Fruits can help with vitamin deficiency. Regular consumption of thorn compote helps to strengthen the immune system, protects against flu and colds.
The beneficial properties of blackthorn compote are due to the presence of substances such as:
- vitamins (C, B, E);
- organic acids;
- nitrogen-containing compounds;
- mineral salts;
- fixed oils.
In addition, thorns have a high content of fructose and glucose (up to 8.8%). The calorie content of the product is 43.9 kcal per 100 g.
Contraindications to the use of thorn compote
Before you start making thorn compote, it is advisable to familiarize yourself with the list of contraindications to its use. The berry has a high acidity and the product made from it cannot be consumed by everyone. The thorny drink should be drunk with caution by people with the following diseases:
- gastritis with a high level of acidity;
- tendency to allergies;
- a duodenal or stomach ulcer.
It is forbidden to taste nectar in case of individual intolerance to the fruit.
Features of the preparation of thorn compote
It is easy to brew a drink from the fruit of the wild plum. But in order to preserve useful substances for a long time, you need to follow some instructions:
- Before using the berry, be sure to carefully sort out and wash. Even slightly cracked fruits are not suitable for harvesting.
- Treat the container for seaming with soda, sterilize if necessary.
- Do not leave the thorn compote in the pan, but immediately seal it tightly.
- Store open nectar in the refrigerator for no more than a day.
How to choose and prepare a turn
To make the compote more tasty, you should choose the right main component. Only ripe and fresh blackthorn berries should be used. They have a dark blue color and a weakly pronounced white bloom, a dense texture. The pulp of the fruit should be green, aromatic, slightly sour in taste, tart. Before using the blackthorn, it should be very well washed, sorted out, rotten and wormy specimens removed, and free from the stalks.
It is more convenient to spin the thorn compote into small jars, but whoever has already tried this drink and loves it can prepare three-liter containers. Before starting the technological process, for long-term storage of nectar, glass containers should be carefully prepared:
- wash with baking soda;
- rinse well with water;
- warm up in the oven, microwave or over steam for 10 to 30 minutes (the duration of the procedure depends on the volume of the container).
How to cook blackthorn compote for the winter
It is not difficult to cook thorn compote at home. Such a drink has been brewed by the hostess for a long time, and over the years, many different preparation options have accumulated. From 1 kg of thorns, approximately 6 liters of a healthy drink are obtained.
A simple recipe for sloe compote for the winter
According to the classic recipe, thorn compote is prepared from slightly frozen berries. They retain a maximum of useful substances.
- sloe - 0.5 kg;
- sugar - 150 g
- Sort the fruits, rinse each berry, dry.
- Thoroughly wash the container for the compote, sterilize with steam.
- Fill the jar with thorns, pour water to the brim with a temperature of 100 0C, leave for 20 minutes.
- Pour the cooled nectar into a saucepan, boil with sugar until it is completely dissolved.
- Pour the syrup into the jar to the very edge and immediately roll up with a key.
Blackthorn compote for the winter without sterilization
You can also close the sloe compote for the winter with a simple method without sterilization. For three liters of water you need to take:
- sloe - 1 kg;
- sugar - 400 g
- Sort the berries, remove debris, stalks, rotten specimens.
- Rinse well, let dry.
- Pour berries into a clean three-liter jar, they should be no more than 1/3 of its volume.
- Carefully so that the container does not burst, pour boiling water into it, cover with a lid, and leave for a quarter of an hour.
- Pour the water from the jar into a saucepan, add granulated sugar, bring to a boil, mix.
- Pour the syrup to the berries, roll up the containers, turn upside down, wrap.
- After cooling, take it to the cellar.
Pitted thorn compote
The fruits of thorns for harvesting compote for the winter can be used with or without seeds. The latter option takes longer to cook.
For compote you will need:
- sloe - 0.7 kg;
- sugar - 2 cups;
- lemon - 3 slices.
- Wash the berries, free them from seeds.
- Put them in a sterile jar, cover with sugar, add lemon.
- Bring water to a boil, carefully pour into a container, leave for 15 minutes.
- Drain the syrup, boil again, add to the fruit, roll up.
Blackthorn and apple compote for the winter
If you cook a compote from thorns and apples, then its taste will turn out to be sweeter and more pleasant. Any kind of fruit can be used as raw material.
- apples - 1 kg;
- sloe - 1 kg;
- granulated sugar - 0.3 kg per 1 liter of water.
Step by step recipe:
- Rinse the raw materials well, cut the apples into slices (if you wish, you can peel them off).
- Fill a third of the container volume with fruits, pour boiling water over them.
- After 15-20 minutes, pour the water into a saucepan, add sugar to it, bring to a boil.
- Pour nectar into a jar, close.
Recipe for thorny compote for the winter with zucchini
Compote made from thorns with the addition of young zucchini is considered quite original. For this combination you will need:
- sloe - 0.4 kg;
- zucchini - 0.6 kg;
- sugar - 0.5 kg;
- water - 3000 ml.
- Sort the berries, rinse, peel the vegetable from seeds and peel.
- Cut the zucchini into medium-sized cubes.
- Put all the ingredients in a deep container, put on low heat.
- Boil the mixture after boiling for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Arrange the thorns and zucchini in sterile jars, pour in the syrup, roll up.
Blackthorn compote with berries
Wild plum goes well with various berries, so cranberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, cherries, apples and sea buckthorn can be added to the thorn compote. Additional components will give the drink a delicate aroma and rich color, as well as a pleasant astringency.
Take for a three-liter jar:
- a mixture of different berries - 0.2 kg;
- wild plum - 0.5 kg;
- apples - 3 pcs.;
- sugar - 0.3 kg.
- Rinse the raw materials well, chop the apples, remove the core.
- Fill the jar with ingredients, pour in boiling water, leave for half an hour.
- Strain the nectar and let it boil.
- Pour the concentrated liquid into a jar, cork.
Plum compote with thorns with cherry plum
A drink from one cherry plum is unappetizing in appearance, has a pale color and does not cause a desire to take a sample, and with the addition of thorn fruits it becomes rich and attractive.
- sloe - 0.2 kg;
- yellow cherry plum - 0.2 kg;
- sugar - 2 cups;
- water - 3 l.
- Bring water to a boil, put sugar in it.
- Wash the fruits, place in boiling syrup, cook for a quarter of an hour.
- Pour the syrup together with the ingredients into jars, close with metal lids.
Frozen sloe compote
For those who prefer fresh compotes over canned ones, the frozen sloe recipe is perfect. The berries lie perfectly in the freezer and retain all their valuable properties.
The composition of the drink:
- frozen fruits of blackthorn - 200 g;
- sugar - 1 glass;
- water - 2 l.
- Remove the berries from the freezer, leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Bring water to a boil, add sugar and fruits to it.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
Terms and conditions of storage
If you strictly follow the technology of rolling compote from thorns, then its shelf life will be 12 months from the date of preparation. With a longer storage, the drink will not lose its taste, but will be filled with harmful substances that are secreted by the seeds of the berries. The place where the preservation is placed should be dark and cool, without a sharp temperature drop.
Blackthorn compote is a pleasant, refreshing and invigorating drink that you can simply spin for the winter. There is a wide variety of his recipes, and everyone can find an option according to their preferences. In addition to its pleasant taste, nectar benefits the body; thorn contains vitamins and nutrients that remain in it even after heat treatment.