Remove snow as usual shovel hard and long. Such a tool can be used in a small area. For cleaning large areas, mechanized snow removal devices are used. Let's say, if you use a shovel with an auger for snow removal, then the work can be done several times faster and with less labor costs.
Varieties of screw shovels
Despite the wide variety of auger shovels, these tools have a mechanism similar in design and principle of operation - the auger. It is he who is responsible for capturing, grinding and throwing snow. If we consider this snow removal tool in general, then the auger shovel for snow removal is:
- The single-stage model has only one auger as a working mechanism with circular knives twisted in a spiral. During the rotation of the drum, the blades capture the snow, grind it and feed it to the blades, which push the snow mass through the outlet sleeve.
- The two-stage model has a similar device, only before the snow is thrown out, the snow passes through the rotor mechanism. The rotating impeller looses the mass with its blades and pushes it out through the outlet sleeve with an air flow.
By the type of drive, the auger shovel is:
- The hand tool resembles a blade scraper in functionality, only the snow inside its body is ground with an auger. The drive here is the physical strength of the operator. The man simply pushes the shovel in front of him.
- The mechanical tool is powered by a motor. Moreover, it can be electric or internal combustion engine. A mechanical shovel may not be equipped with an engine, but serve as a hitch for a walk-behind tractor or a mini-tractor. In this case, the auger drive is connected to the motor of the traction unit. The range of snow throwing in a power shovel can reach 15 m. Hand tools do not have such parameters. He simply pushes the snow aside. Mechanical auger shovels differ in the type of movement:
- A non-self-propelled tool usually has skis instead of wheels. He moves from the pushing efforts of a person. The motor is only responsible for the rotation of the auger.
- Self-propelled tools are available on wheels and crawler tracks. Such machines move by themselves, and the person only controls the handle.
Despite significant differences in design, the principle of operation of any auger shovel is the same.
When the snow blower starts to move, regardless of the type of drive, the rotating auger grabs the snow and then throws it out of the way through the sleeve. The throw distance depends on the speed of the working mechanism. The operator adjusts the throwing direction with a swivel visor.
Auger miracle shovel FORTE QI-JY-50
An ordinary shovel can clear a small area of snow, but this process is still laborious. The mass captured by the bucket must be lifted in front of you to be thrown to the side. A large load from such work goes to the arms and back. Designed by hand miracle shovel is a mechanical snow removal tool. A feature of its design is the auger installed inside the dump bucket.
The FORTE QI-JY-50 model is a worthy representative of this tool. The blade itself is made of durable plastic. Capture width - 60 cm. The auger is fixed to the blade. It starts to rotate when a person pushes a shovel in front of him. At this time, spiral-shaped blades grab the snow and throw it to the side. Thanks to the auger, a person applies less effort to pushing the shovel.This reduces the load on the spine.
Conventionally, two types of snow cover can be distinguished, with which the miracle shovel is able to cope:
- It's frosty outside, and the ground is covered with fluffy snow up to 15 cm thick. There is no better weather for working with a hand tool. The shovel will easily travel on the surface of the ground, and the auger will grab the entire thickness of the cover. When working, you need to find the correct angle of inclination of the tool relative to the ground. The auger must not touch the ground, otherwise it will brake.
- The snow cover was packed, and during the night it grew up to 30 cm. A shovel cannot cope with such a layer. The auger will simply get stuck in the snow and will not rotate. Only a strong person can physically move such a thickness. Elderly people or teenagers will not master this work.
However, there is a way out of the latter situation. Craftsmen have learned to upgrade the FORTE QI-JY-50 shovel. For this, an additional blade is attached in front of the auger at a height of 15 cm. When a person starts pushing such a combination tool, the front scraper scrapes off the top layer of snow. The shovel that follows the miracle easily captures the remaining 15 cm thick cover.
Self-made mechanical auger shovel
Factory snow blowers are quite expensive, so many craftsmen make mechanical shovels themselves. The motor can be used electric, but there is the inconvenience of being attached to an outlet. In addition, the cable is constantly tangled underfoot. Find the best air-cooled gasoline engine. A motor from a walk-behind tractor is perfect.
The manufacture of a mechanical shovel is performed in the following sequence:
- You need to find a shaft for the auger. An ordinary metal pipe 20 mm thick will do. On the edges, pins are welded onto which closed-type bearings No. 305 are mounted. You immediately need to decide on the type of drive. If it is a belt drive, then a pulley is placed on one of the trunnions. For chain transmission, use a sprocket from a moped or bicycle. Two steel plates measuring 12x27 cm are welded in the center of the pipe. They will play the role of shoulder blades. Circular knives can be cut from conveyor belts or car tires. You will need four rings with a diameter of 28 cm. They are attached to the shaft with turns towards the blades.
Good circular knives are made from steel. If you cut a jagged edge on them, the auger will easily pick up snow with an icy crust.
- The frame of a mechanical shovel is welded from the corners. You can use a bolted connection. There are jumpers on the frame that will serve as a mount for the engine.
- The bucket is bent from a sheet of steel 50 cm wide. Since the diameter of the knives is 28 cm, the semicircular body inside should have a height of 30 cm. The side walls of thick plywood are fastened with rivets or bolts. The second option is better because of the ability to disassemble the bucket if necessary. Holes are cut out in the center of the side walls, and here the hubs for the bearings are bolted. A hole with a diameter of 160 mm is cut out from the top of the bucket with a jigsaw. It should be located in the middle of the body, just above the shoulder blades. A galvanized branch pipe is attached to the hole. A snow throwing sleeve will be put on it.
- Before assembling all the components of the mechanical shovel, you need to complete the drive. If an asterisk is put on the auger shaft, then the PTO of the motor must be equipped with a similar part. The same is done in the case of using pulleys.
- The assembly of the shovel begins with the installation of the auger inside the bucket. For this, the shaft with bearings is inserted into the hubs fixed to the side elements of the housing. The finished bucket with auger is bolted to the front of the frame. A galvanized or PVC pipe with a visor is put on the outlet pipe.
- The motor on the frame is positioned so that the alignment of the drive pulleys or sprockets is maintained. The engine mounts must be movable on the frame.This will allow the belt or chain to be tensioned optimally.
- The chassis can be wheels or skis. The first option is reasonable to use for a self-propelled vehicle. In this case, it will be required from the engine to make another drive to the wheelset. It is easier to put a non-self-propelled car on wooden skids. The skis will walk more easily in the snow and will not fall through in a large snowdrift.
When all the components of the power shovel are assembled, all that remains is to attach the control handle. It is made from a pipe 15–20 mm thick. They give any form that is convenient for the operator. It usually resembles the letter "P" or "T".
The video shows a homemade snow blower:
The mechanical shovel engine is started after checking all the components. The auger must rotate freely by hand inside the bucket, and the blades must not catch on its walls. After the test, it is advisable to cover the drive units with a cover for your own safety.
The speed of snow removal with the auger shovel is high. For a person, such work will become more useful entertainment in the fresh air than a tedious activity.